YPSILANTI TWP., MI – Three people were displaced from their home by a kitchen fire Tuesday night, officials said.
Ypsilanti Township Fire Department responded at 10:37 p.m., Aug. 25, to the 1300 block of Concord Drive for a stove fire, Lt. Scott Gehringer said.
Food on the stove was left unattended for a few minutes and caught fire, Gehringer said. The fire spread to surrounding cabinets, but firefighters were able to keep the fire contained to the kitchen, he said.
Crews were on scene for 57 minutes, Gehringer said.
There was about $10,000 of damage to the kitchen, Gehringer said. The American Red Cross assisted the people who were displaced.
Food should never be left unattended on the stove, even for a short period of time, as it can quickly catch fire and cause damage, Gehringer said.
The Ypsilanti, Superior Township and Pittsfield Township fire departments assisted at the scene.
Read more from MLive.com:
As students arrive in Ann Arbor, health officials prepare for potential coronavirus spread
5-story hotel proposed on west edge of downtown Ann Arbor
Freshmen excited for fall at University of Michigan, hope coronavirus won’t force them out early
Police find car full of stolen booze after Chelsea heist
Scammer claiming to be Apple security steals $1,000 from woman, police say
©2020 MLive.com, Walker, Mich.
Visit MLive.com, Walker, Mich. at www.mlive.com.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.